WMA Commission – LIGHT Call for Proposals (DEADLINE: 11 October 2019)
From now till 11 October 2019 (23:59 Hong Kong time; GMT + 8:00), WMA invites both photographers and artists worldwide to respond to the theme “Light”. Proposals for the WMA Commission grant must relate to the theme and context of Hong Kong.
‘The notion of “Light” is intrinsically related to photography.’ says Vivian Fung, Project Director of WMA, when explaining about the theme. ‘Whether it is about the dawn of life, enlightenment and knowledge, channeling of attention or symbolism of urbanity, “Light” can relate to Hong Kong in so many ways. We hope this theme could inspire image-makers to explore social issues in Hong Kong through diverse works and projects ideas.’
The WMA Commission recipient will be selected by a panel of renowned industry leaders in photography, art, education and the non-profit sector, including:
Jury Panel of WMA Commission
- Jacqueline FRANCIS (Associate Professor & Chair, Graduate Program in Visual and Critical Studies, California College of the Arts)
- Linda LAI (Associate Professor, School of Creative Media, City University of Hong Kong)
- Melissa Karman LEE (Education and Public Programmes Curator, Taikwun)
- Teresa MA (Trustee, WYNG Foundation)
- John STANMEYER (Photojournalist, Humanist, Emmy Nominated Filmmaker)
The WMA Commission recipient, who will be granted HK$250,000 to progress towards a production of the chosen proposal in Hong Kong, and a public event featuring the completed work. The award grant covers artist fees and production of work. The project period of the WMA Commission is from March 2020 to March 2021. WMA will also host a series of public activities throughout the year to encourage public discussions on the chosen theme. For more details, please visit wma.hk/light.